Sunday, August 06, 2006

Prayer to St. Paul for Patience:


O glorious St. Paul,
who from a persecutor of Christianity,
did become a most ardent apostle of zeal;
and who to make known the Saviour Jesus Christ
to the ends of the world did suffer with joy imprisonment,
scourging, stonings, shipwrecks
and persecutions of every kind,
and in the end did shed your blood to the last drop,
obtain for us the grace to receive,
as favours of the Divine Mercy,
infirmities, tribulations,
and mistfortunes of the present life,
so that the vicissitudes of this our exile
will not render us cold in the service of God,
but will render us always more faithful and fervent.
Amen.


From My Daily Bread
Confraternity of the Precious Blood
Chapter 51
Daily Need of Patience


Christ:My child, though you may plan all things and arrange everything with the greatest care, you will still have many opportunities to exercise the virtue of patience. You cannot eliminate the unexpected, the unforseen, and the unavoidable. In many cases your best remedy and weapon will be an intelligent patience with yourself as well as others.

Every man has his daily share of troubles and trials. sometimes it may be bodily pain and discomfort. At other times it may be mental or spiritual suffering, some annoyance, disappointment, or anxiety. Sometimes you may feel that I have deserted you. Then again, you may have to bear misunderstandings, misinterpretations, or even bad will from your neighbor. In fact, there are times when you are a burden and a bother to yourself.

Everybody would like to free of these trials, but it cannot be. They are a part of your earthly life. Wherever you turn, you will always find my cross in one form or another. Patience will help you bear it more easily. This virtue will help you keep your soul at peace, so that you may continue to walk toward Heaven in time of trials.

Think:I see only too clearly how wonderful a virtue patience is. It is the key to peace, even joy, in time of trouble and suffering. I need never be surprised, resentful, disappointed, or sad when things go badly for me. Wherever I go, I bring with me one of my greatest troubles and burdens-myself, with all my unreasoning desires and endless wants. Through the virtue of patience I can gain greater possesion of myself. I shall more easily see how to deal with the trials facing me.

Pray:My Jesus, King of true glory, You embraced a life of suffering and trials for love of me. You mounted a throne of shame and agony for my sins. Can I expect, or even desire, a life of ease, with everything going as I wish? When I consider what You chose to suffer for my sake, the disappointments, hatred, ingratitude, humiliation, injustice, and more, can I want a life of planned successes and pleasant friendships? No, Lord. If I really love You, I shall desire a patience to accept the heartaches, aggravations, and disappointments which come my way. Make me more like You in a life like Yours. No greater glory is possible to any man.

Amen.

No comments:

Site Meter