Sunday, December 07, 2008

Friendship with the world...

Newsweek, in an article which may be found here, is actually trying to make a religious case for same-sex "marriage." Meanwhile, the article I submitted to the Worcester Telegram & Gazette on the Supreme Judicial Court of Massachusetts and how it did violence to the common good, which may be found here, will never see the light of day. Mr. George French, the Editor of the Editorial section of the T & G, hasn't even responded to my queries. I'll live with it. I'm not wrapped up in myself. I'm just not that important in the grand scheme of things. And I never will be (even though I am important to Jesus).

It only serves to highlight the fact that newspapers such as the Telegram & Gazette are not really interested in a free and open exchange of ideas. Indeed, orthodox Christians are not welcome in the marketplace of ideas throughout much of our secularized society. Expect this trend to continue. Christians will be marginalized to the same extent our Jewish brothers and sisters were marginalized by the Third Reich. In the New Order, Christians (at least the orthodox ones who actually accept Divine Revelation and especially the authority of the Magisterium) will be barred from the public forum and contained within a ghetto courtesy of the dictatorship of relativism. Absolute truth will have to be expunged. As well as those who adhere to it.

In the Gospel of John, chapter fifteen verses 18-27, Jesus explains to us: "If the world hates you, realize that it hated me first. If you belonged to the world, the world would love its own; but because you do not belong to the world, and I have chosen you out of the world, the world hates you. Remember the word I spoke to you, 'No slave is greater than his master.' If they persecuted me, they will also persecute you. If they kept my word, they will also keep yours. And they will do all these things to you on account of my name, because they do not know the one who sent me. If I had not come and spoken to them, they would have no sin; but as it is they have no excuse for their sin. Whoever hates me also hates my Father. If I had not done works among them that no one else ever did, they would not have sin; but as it is, they have seen and hated both me and my Father. But in order that the word written in their law might be fulfilled, 'They hated me without cause.' "When the Advocate comes whom I will send you from the Father, the Spirit of truth that proceeds from the Father, he will testify to me. And you also testify, because you have been with me from the beginning."

Related: When Mr. Vic Melfa, an alumnus of Holy Cross College in Worcester, wrote a letter to alumni of Holy Cross criticizing the Holy Cross newspaper and a student group which promotes homosexuality (see here), it elicited a strong front-page reaction from the Telegram & Gazette (see here).

More evidence of the pro-homosexual bias at the Telegram & Gazette here.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Christianity itself is being expunged by forces which desire a New World Order:

Words associated with Christianity, the monarchy and British history have been dropped from a leading dictionary for children.

Julie Henry, Education Correspondent
Last Updated: 2:47PM GMT 07 Dec 2008


Westminster Abbey may be one of Britain's most famous landmarks, but the word abbey has been removed from the Oxford Junior Dictionary.

Instead, words such as 'MP3 player', 'voicemail' and 'attachment' have been included. Photo: GETTY IMAGES
Oxford University Press has removed words like "aisle", "bishop", "chapel", "empire" and "monarch" from its Junior Dictionary and replaced them with words like "blog", "broadband" and "celebrity". Dozens of words related to the countryside have also been culled.

The publisher claims the changes have been made to reflect the fact that Britain is a modern, multicultural, multifaith society.

But academics and head teachers said that the changes to the 10,000 word Junior Dictionary could mean that children lose touch with Britain's heritage.

"We have a certain Christian narrative which has given meaning to us over the last 2,000 years. To say it is all relative and replaceable is questionable," said Professor Alan Smithers, the director of the centre for education and employment at Buckingham University. "The word selections are a very interesting reflection of the way childhood is going, moving away from our spiritual background and the natural world and towards the world that information technology creates for us."

Anonymous said...

The Telegram has become Christophobic. The paper's response to Mr. Melfa's letter shows this. Ever since the 1990s the paper has gone steadily downhill. I remember Fr. John Barrett of the Office of Communications (Worcester Diocese) saying that he only read the T&G for the obituaries. I suspect most people only purchase that lousy newspaper for the same reason.

Anonymous said...

Make no mistake about it Paul, you are seen as a threat by some. Even dangerous. A Catholic who writes so eloquently about the Magisterial teaching of the Church and who is actually well familiar with the Vatican II texts.

Censorship is how these dishonest types maintain their status quo. They cannot win an intellectual debate so they silence their opposition.

Paul Anthony Melanson said...

Michelle, thank you for your kind note. I have added a link to a Mass Resistance Blog post which further demonstrates the pro-homosexual bias over at the T & G.

God love you.

Anonymous said...

I stopped buying the Telegram five years ago and never even looked back. With the advent of the internet, do we really need useless anti-Christian publications like the Telegram? Obituaries can be found online and one can find the news online from more reliable sources, those not crippled by a secular humanist bias. And I can get the news when I want it. I suspect many Worcesterites have come to the same conclusion. This would seem to explain the paper's jump in price from 50 cents to 75 cents. Fewer subscribers has translated into the need to charge more for the useless rag.

Anonymous said...

The internet IS hurting the newspaper business Mark. The Chicago Tribune will be filing for bankruptcy and numerous other papers such as the Boston Globe and Miami Herald are hurting. In my opinion, liberal bias hasn't exactly helped these papers either. If a paper isn't even going to try to remain objective, I don't want to read it.

Site Meter