Wednesday, August 20, 2008

"..he does not belong to our group.."

"John said to him, 'Teacher, we saw someone driving out demons in your name, and we tried to prevent him because he does not belong to our group.' Jesus replied, 'Do not prevent him. There is no one who performs a mighty deed in my name who can at the same time speak ill of me. For whoever is not against us is for us.'" (Mark 9: 38-40).

How often this sad scene is repeated in parishes throughout the Church. As I mentioned in a previous post here at La Salette Journey: "an editorial which appeared in The Catholic Free Press said that, 'We the people...make up the Church...as we share, we can contribute to a revival which can fill the pews" and, "..the Body of Christ is healthiest when it has all its members, you included. Maybe, as you share your time, talent and treasure, you will help keep another parish from closing...More importantly, maybe you'll bring still more people to Christ and his Body - those who never knew him, those who've wandered away, or members of the next generation just waiting to learn of him from your lips and lives.'

Nice words. But we must give more than lip service to them. Just recently, I attended a parish meeting in Fitchburg where I proposed the idea of creating a parish website with the aim of reaching out to young people [who spend much time on the internet] and those who have 'wandered away' from the Church. The laity in attendance all applauded at this suggestion. The pastor asked me whether I would be willing to undertake such a project. I immediately responded in the affirmative and was given the green light to proceed with the pastor having assured all those present that he doesn't 'micro-manage' when he delegates a project to be accomplished.

Long story short, when certain individuals at this parish* learned of my orthodoxy and commitment to the Magisterial teaching of the Church, a meeting was held [one which I was not invited to attend], the project was quickly scrapped and I was told in an email. When I wrote the pastor about this and a retired Deacon as well, I received no response.."

In this week's Catholic Free Press, there is an article on parish websites entitled, "Parish web sites open up new windows" which highlights the usefulness of these sites and how they can be a great source of information. Which is one reason I suggested the idea to begin with.

But I wasn't welcome. I did not belong to a select group. I was considered an "outsider."

Jesus said that whoever does not gather with Him scatters. I wonder if this is understood by the people who deemed me unworthy of participating in the life of the parish?

* St. Joseph's Parish in Fitchburg.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found that Saint Joseph's is not a welcoming parish community. Parishes die because they aren't welcoming. That is the saddest thing of all.

Anonymous said...

They were probably afraid you would have the audacity to use the website to promote sound Catholic teaching and to remind people that sin is an offense to God and that Hell is real.

The "new ecclesiology" won't pemit that.

Anonymous said...

David, I think you're right. Christ told Mama Carmela Carabel that His prophets are "mocked and caluminated...just as in the Old Testament they were persecuted and even slain, so too now, they are slain again, if not materially at least in their moral life, their honor; and, as before, they are persecuted."

As Catholics loyal to the Magisterium, we are all called to be prophets. I believe Paul is. Over the years he's warned of so many dangers to the faith. And because of this, he is unwelcome in so many places.

Telling the truth can have very unpleasant consequences. But the soul who loves God puts truth first.

Expect the persecution of the remnant to intensify.

Parishioner1964 said...

That retired Deacon was Bob Leger. An unhappy individual.

Site Meter